MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. The following is a detailed guide to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively known as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the 3 elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X means the aspects of C or N. The MXene material is actually a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. Max Phase material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make them have an array of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be found in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be utilized in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The surface of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific surface, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually range from the etching therapy for the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new type of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are popular in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the activity and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which may realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, with the continuous progress of science and technology and the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects may become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Down the road, new preparation technologies and methods may be further explored to realize a much more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, however, there is still room for more optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment along with other elements of the content can be studied and improved thorough to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have been popular in numerous fields, but there are still many potential application areas to get explored. Down the road, they can be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in many fields. With all the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.